Sunday, October 24, 2010

Baby Food Mania

We have been so busy during the week, that once Saturday comes we pack up in the car and are out for fun around town. This weekend we went to Petfest in Old Town Spring. Really cute, we were so tired afterwards and went to sleep early of course. Today we went for our regular walk and then brunch at Central Market then finished with grocery shopping. Luan and I eat whatever is available, but I go grocery shopping for Gio now, lol. I have resisted buying babyfood because I have so much fun making it so far. I did buy prunes babyfood this week because Gio is having a hard time pooping, we never had issues but with this new cereal and his digestive system maturing, everything is coming out too compact. Prunes will help for sure and Daddy is working on some acupuncture points for digestive help.

So today when we got home while Gio took a nap, mommy got busy in the kitchen. I made Butternut Squash, Carrots, Sweet Potato, Broccoli and Asparagus. We still have some Green Peas and Spinach left, so making more of a variety. When I talked to my pediatrician about introducing solids, she suggested we start with Rice Cereal --> Green Veggies --> Red/Orange Veggies
-->Yellow Veggies and Fruit Last. If we started with fruit or the lighter color veggies which are sweeter, we would have a harder time introducing stronger green veggies. Fruit is to be the last one to be introduced like a dessert, we liked this process so we have been following it so far...except I have introduced some fruit...=p

Gio's first veggie was actually Green Peas which are sweet but not as much as fruit and then Avocado. We then included Mexican squash, greenbeans, broccoli, spinach, butternut squash and sweet potato. I also made Caldo de Res and pureed it for Gio, man so far that has been his favorite so it's coming up on the menu soon. This past week i have introduced banana in his cereal, grapes and oranges here and there. By the looks of my lil pumpkin you would think I would be feeding him by the tons, but not so much. He is still primarily a breastmilk lover and will accept solids here and there. We are trying to be more consistent and make sure to pack a cooler with his food when we are out and about. So far so good. He is easily distracted and will refuse to eat and sometimes drink, therefore he likes to make it up towards the night, lol.

There are tons of babyfood making products out there, I almost went out and bought a babymill and some other fancy doodads, but so far I only bought storage containers. Yet I said...Today I bought the Munchkin freshfood feeder. I need to buy some portable placemats and more bibs because I had him looking crazy today, lol!


How I make my baby food:
Supplies:
Magic Bullet
Baby Cubes Storage Containers with Tray
OXO IceTray with Cover (LOVE IT)
Veggies Fresh/Frozen
Water
Chicken Broth

I either use fresh/frozen veggies. Thankfully there are so many veggies prewashed and cut for you to choose from or frozen works just as well. Boil veggies until soft or I follow bag instructions. Then drain about 75% of water. I use the Magic Bullet to puree all veggies and I add some of the boiled water and chicken broth (1-3oz). Add as much liquid as you need depending on how soft or chunky you want the food to be. I initially stored the veggies in the baby cubes, but some stopped sealing and opened up in the freezer. I found the OXO trays at RightStart and Bed Bath and Beyond. I now use 4 icetrays which I think I need more,because I am making alot more at one time instead of every other day. I wait for the food to cool down and then freeze. Once they are frozen I pop out the food from the icetrays and then store in freezer bags.

In the morning we take out what we need for lunch and dinner and leave in fridge to thaw out. I either warm the food in a container over hot water or if in a rush microwave. I add BM for flavor and to make it more smooth if veggies are to thick. Gio will eat 2-3 cubes of veggies at a time, sometimes on a good day, otherwise no such luck. Since we are introducing lighter colored veggies now, I make sure he gets a green veggie and colored at the same time, so we don't lose the love for his green veggies. Can I just say how much I love fresh spinach but not cooked and Gio just eats it all up, yea Gio! I am so proud of him and so happy to make him his food. This weekend I am hitting the local farmer's market to stock up on some fresh veggies and discover some new ones.


The Baby Cube Food Storage Containers

OXO IceCube Trays with Lid

Gio's Food Stash!!

Luan and I are trying be more consistent with our food choices and trying very hard to eliminate the fast food trend. We have to change our habits so that Gio will have good ones as he grows up. I got lazy through the years with my cooking skills but now trying to make more of an effort for all of us, because I can't feed Gio pureed veggies forever, lol. So I am digging out my cookbooks and going to start planning some future meals. Wish me luck and pray for the stomachs of my boys. Hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment