Sunday, August 11, 2013

Nursing Alexander

Gymnastics nursing has started! Alexander has discovered there is a world outside of his nursing field and he wants to view it from all angles while nursing and tries to pull me with him, if you get my drift...! He also tries to carry a conversation with me or comment in on a conversation I'm having with daddy or Tita. He nurses pops off, baby gibberish, pops back on, pops off gives his two cents and then back to nursing. Hilarious!  The other day I was bathing Gio and Alexander was ready to eat and sleep as well, but I figured let me finish with Gio and nurse Alexander while reading to Gio before bedtime! So I placed Alexander in his rocker in the bathroom with us while I gave Gio a bath. All was fine till I started hearing screams and wails from him. By the way it was a quick bath time and then dressing while screams are coming from this baby! Good lord! I finally get him, he hollers at me two more times, latches on for a bit then pops off to holler some more while directly looking me in the eyes then finally nurses. SMH! Then to finish off once he is satisfied he pops off and gives me a huge gummy smile and happy squeal! Good lord drama baby! He is keeping me busy at 3.5 months. Just like his big brother he wants to nurse and also suck on his hand at the same time, thumb wars is what I called it with Gio! So here I am trying to keep his hand away but let me tell you babies are strong! So I let him lay for a while till he is finally ready to eat, otherwise it's just a battle. Thankfully going back to work has been so flexible and easy this time around. When I do go to work I pump alot two days prior and there is always frozen milk just in case.  I pump on the way to work and right after I am done in the car! So relaxing to be honest! I'm covered up under my nursing cover and can get all that milk out of me! I don't have time to pump at work and if I go longer hours ill just have to find a way. I'm thankful to have a great nursing experience so far. With Gio I had a nursing strike for a while and now realize that it was the beginning of teething and it hurt him to nurse. This time around I was prepared and had hylands teething gel at hand which has calmed Alexander down instantly! He is salivating up a storm and although no teeth have cut, you can feel some sharpness at his gums. While he was nursing he started to get uncomfortable and moan in pain. I rubbed some gel on his gums and he calmed down fast, and nursing was more pleasant for him. I also ordered a amber teething necklace can't wait to try it out, read alot of great reviews. Daddy also found acupressure points for teething which has helped and calm down the salivating. Teething kind of put a bump in our sleeping pattern, but we are getting back to 5-6 hr increments. The pediatrician told me bc of his weight he no longer had to night feed and I totally understand her but try telling that to a screaming baby during the night and as you know CIO is not my forte. One step at a time, I am trying to extend the feeding time intervals slowly and cutdown on nighttime feedings as well. We will see, I am definitely trying and Alexander really likes his sleep and I don't want to mess with that! There will be a point that I will be waking up really early for work and need to get as much sleep as I can, so helping Alexander transition now would be good, but easier said then done. Anywhoo, regardless of the wakeup times during the night or stopping what I am doing during the day, it is so worth it! Nursing my baby is a journey and I love it, especially when those gorgeous eye stare back at me and a smile erupts across those cute cheeks. Although my nursing relationship with Gio has ended, I didn't realize I missed it so much. Gio is growing up and that was the only time he slowed down for a bit. Thankful for a second experience with Alexander! 

No comments:

Post a Comment