Happy 2 Months Baby Giovanni!!!
Yesterday-Giovanni and I enjoyed Mommy/Baby Yoga. What exactly does Giovanni do...well he has tummy time or lays on his back and coos at mommy as she stretches and bends all around and on top of him. It was so nice to workout but not have to leave his side. I had read to bring babies in a carrier because some moves require you to carry them, but nope, he laid out while I did all the hard work. If your baby was fussy, hungry, crying or needed a diaper change, go ahead..no problem. It was great, towards the end Baby G got fussy and it was time to nurse during the cool down part of class, so we did. We finished class and then took a tour of the Motherhood Center for other classes in the future. I am happy I was able to take him with me and we will probably go back tomorrow. They do not have class in the evenings, but I will be able to attend a Saturday class once I go back to work. The receptionist mentioned that if I had time there was a new/expecting mom support group meeting, if I wanted to join. Well Baby G was sleeping so I figured why not. There were 4 expecting moms and 4 new moms, all with bambinos around Gio's age. Guess what...Gio was the biggest of them all. 2-6 months old arrived and Gio was still bigger than them. Hmm?? Anywhoo, we started talking sleep patterns, of course Gio does as he pleases and still wakes up every 2-3 hours. I was given suggestions on adding cereal to his milk or maybe adding formula. I just smiled and was also told to skip some feedings. Well it was time for me to go. I was also in workout clothes from class, but even if I hadn't come to class, I would not have been dressed up. These new moms were all dressed up, full makeup, jewelry, heels, etc. How the hell do they do it? I guess they have more time or take more time for themselves. I am lucky to shower eventually and to get out of my last night pjs and right into my new pjs for the day or my regular tank and workout pants. Hmm...Maybe I should dress up, but if I am staying home all day, what is the point, pregnant or new mom or not, I was always very casual at home....to each his own.
After class we went home to rest and meet up dad before our 2 month appt. We met with Dee, NP for our appt and we discussed feeding, sleeping and developmental. So from my description of our daily schedule, Gio is not sleeping enough and could go about 6 hours between feedings because of his weight. Well that's nice, but it just isn't happening, just because that is in the book, doesn't mean it will always occur that way for each and every child. We have had problems with naps, where he has fought them off and on, if there is movement he naps great, no movement=no nap. So when we are on walks or car rides he is out like a log. At home I can get him to squeeze a 30 -45 min power nap. So Dee suggested lots of different techniques, some that I am not comfortable doing such as crying it out (NO) and laying him down semi-awake so that he can self soothe and fall asleep on his own, otherwise he is going to continue having issues. Especially at 4 months when there are other developmental milestones to reach, we need to get his sleeping pattern down. Well, we currently get a good 4-5 hour stretch when we initially put him down to sleep, otherwise it is every 2-3 hours. Dee is coming from her own personal experience, because she had trouble with her son and finally did CIO at 17 months, which she said was hell and she also didn't sleep for 17 months. I know she is trying to help, but I am not comfortable with CIO, because I know I won't reinforce it, I'll cave and pick him right up. It also doesn't help that he sleeps in our room, where else am I going to go. Also him waking up every 2-3 hours is a big no no for her, since he should be sleeping longer. Should and what he is actually doing are two different things. He isn't and what am I going to do, not feed him for 6 hours? Feedings should only be 10 min on each breast, no human pacifier allowed. Hmm...there goes another thing on the bad list Mommy has been doing. If he starts using me as a pacifier, I am to put him down do show negative behavior=negative response (no momma love). A pacifier might also help to soothe, since he has a great sucking reflex. There were other suggestions as well..blah! We finally left, a sleepy Gio because he was grumpy from the visit and a sad mom who felt that she has over spoiled her child and now has to start from square one.
2 month Check-up: 15lbs 14 oz and 23 in long.
Dee did reassure us that his weight was good and that you cannot have an overweight breastfeed baby. So now all those comments of oh my he is overweight...please keep them to yourselves, he is not!
We got home and tried putting him down semi-awake, didn't work quite so well...Evening went on and finally grumpy pants Gio finally went to sleep of course in Mommy's arms.
Today-Night/Early Morning went well, honestly no change because that is what I am used to. I did soothe him back to sleep at 230 when he woke up till 345 when he was finally ready to eat. Next wake up 600, not bad. 815-leaky diaper=awake Gio, I don't blame him. We played, fed and then I was able to put him down to sleep semi-awake. Woohoo!!! 15 min later....The yardmen finally woke him up, great! Round two-Soothe back to sleep for 15 min longer and he was up again. Play time. 1PM-Nap time, I placed him in his crib semi-awake and he fell asleep till 1:45, what woke him up this time? Leaky Diaper-uggh! poor thing. So we are up playing, daddy comes home, Gio falls asleep again on his own, poor lil man he is tired. He wakes up 30 min later, Daddy is trying to soothe Gio, but his cries escalate, I think it's feeding time again, well a concerned grandmother walks in. Daddy is trying to calm baby down to relax by ssshhiing and rocking, by the way he is swaddled (as he is every time he naps and goes to sleep for the night). I tell grams to allow Daddy to calm baby down. Well I am then told that we are suffocating and torturing our child by my unorthodox methods and that she has taken care of many children and never used these absurd ideas..etc, etc. Thank you grandmother. Not only do I already feel crappy from our doc visit because I am doing Gio a disservice by not creating good sleeping or feeding habits, I am also now torturing my child, among other things.
Well if you look at Giovanni, he is not phased by any of this at all, he is happy, cuddly and cooing. We are going to make some changes to our daily routine but who knows. We are very blessed to have a lot of support as we go along this new journey as parents, but it can be overwhelming and belittling at times. I wish everyone would remember that we all had to start somewhere. I more than anyone need to keep that in perspective and not give myself such a hard time, but it is easier said than done.
On a brighter note, baby G is up and ready to play, so I am off. Needed some venting and updating.
No comments:
Post a Comment