Monday, February 22, 2010

I survived!

Maybe I should say we survived...

Sunday-Luan's parents hosted a one month celebration for Giovanni. We were greatly surprised with the cute decorations they put time into for the party. Grandparents Nguyen, Hoang Family, Andy, Toan, Yasmin, Eileen, Denise, Danny, Abuelita Maria y Lety all joined in the celebration of Giovanni's one month. We had a great time catching up with everyone. Lil Man did great, he napped most of the time. That morning his tummy was upset and I think he was constipated. I had over packed a diaper bag with extra clothing, diapers, etc.. just in case he got dirty, but nothing for myself. Did Giovanni get dirty? Nope but Mommy sure got all his spit-up on her about three times in a row. I got the lecture of how I should always pack something for myself as well. Yes I do have Burp Cloths, but he managed on all three occasions to miss the burp cloth and get Mommy. He has great aim, =p. Denise helped me clean up and Mr. Giovanni fell asleep finally. I was grateful he got some rest, because lil Man is fighting his day naps and then gets very cranky. We were so happy Denise and Danny were able to make the celebration, it made the day very special for us. Well after a day of being cuddled and loved so much, Lil Man was pooped. We went through our night time routine but when 2AM hit, he was up! He was tired of sleeping and wanted to play. I am starting to notice that he loves 2 AM and PM; It is his awake time no matter what. So Mommy and Daddy took turns with Lil Man till he finally went down at 5 AM. 7AM he woke up again and we nursed in bed and then cuddled till almost 10. Mommy and Giovanni were both very rested and happy.

Monday- I vowed I would pump after putting it off for a week. We nursed around 11 and then Lil Man went down for a nap. I took advantage of the time and started pumping. Not 5 min into pumping, did Lil man wake up, he has great timing. He didn't want his milk being wasted into bottles, I suppose. =p Great Grandmother went to entertain him while I finished. I got 3 oz on my first time, not bad. I was worried that Giovanni would not have milk since I just pumped, although I should know better, because he sometimes nurses every hour during his growth spurts and I obviously have a supply. But you know me, I worry. Regardless, I cleaned the pump equipment and then went off to tend to Lil Man.

My friend Danette had arrived into town and mentioned getting a pedicure. I thought well, I just pumped, maybe I should go with her to catch up and then Luan could introduce Giovanni with his first bottle. I took a leap of faith and decided to go with Danette. I took a nap first with my family, since Giovanni is fighting his naps, I wanted to take advantage of some shuteye.
I slept for 40 min, then snuck out as my men slept. I totally enjoyed catching up with Danette and got a much needed pedicure, girl has to look cute, since I spend my days in sweats, lol. I only called Luan once and ended up waking him up, woops, Gio was still asleep. I felt my milk come in and thought I could make it home in time to feed him, but nope Luan called looking for the bottle nipple, rats I missed his feeding.

I got home to a burping baby with his Daddy. He reported that he downed the 2oz quickly, fell asleep then woke up and finished the last 1oz. I topped him off and then he fell asleep for another nap. Since he didn't eat that much, I pumped again and got 4.5 oz, now stored in the freezer, we have to start somewhere. No problems latching on, Yea! Bernie, suggested I should pump twice daily and only bottle feed if I had too, so that's what I am going to do. I am going to start a back-up milk supply and if I have to step out, I am assured that baby will be ok. I might surprise hubby and go out just the two of us. I know that it's healthy that I have me time, but listen I will have plenty of Tanya time, I assure you I will and I have had lots of me time in the past, these two months is all about Giovanni bc when I return to work, our schedule will be different, so why not enjoy my time with lil man. This morning I pumped only 2.5 oz but it's a great start and I am happy to report we had a great night, still waking up every 2-2.5 hrs but that's normal and someone took a morning nap, yea.

TIme to vent...My grams reported while discussing with my mom regarding gio's first bottle feed that he was left hungry and that I should really leave some formula because he was starving. My expressed milk is not enough and not going to fill him up. She is not the first to mention this, nor the last. I have been given other wonderful tidbits and lectured on my decisions by several. I totally understand that all these wonderful comments are given with love and meant to help and everyone has way more experience than I, hell I've only been a parent for a month! But just like everyone, you slowly learn and become a parent everyday. I am grateful for all the help I receive, it has empowered me at times when I really needed it. With that being said, everyone has different parenting skills and because I may have chosen a different path, I am in no way claiming someones path was wrong or bad, this is the path we have chosen for Giovanni, right or wrong we will learn, it's what we call Life! Therefore, I love everyone, but I am determined to breastfeed Giovanni for as long as I am able too, I will not supplement unless I have too because of health concerns, etc. Nor will I introduce other foods till 6 mo, when his digestive system is ready to break food down. If I veer away from this path, then I do, we are all free to change and grow. I always thought moms who stayed at home were crazy, wouldn't they miss work or need a change of venue? Boy was I wrong, I don't miss work at all, I value every minute I have with my lil man and totally value stay at home moms, and envy them because I have to return to work. My friends think I am crazy, but having a child changes everything and completely transforms you into someone new..a parent, lol (hopefully for me a less selfish person) I know that life is a public forum and we all love to give our opinions, hello I am Queen of Opinions, but I also think that we should all try to sensor our comments especially when it is in really bad taste. I am guilty of this as well, hell we all are, but I am trying to grow.

3 comments:

  1. We were so happy to be there to celebrate his 1 month!!! I cant tell you enough that you and Luan have a beautiful baby boy and are doing an awesome job! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did the same thing...no need to supplement with formula unless you need to for health reasons...and didn't feed solids until 6 months...our girls are healthy...stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a friend that breastfed for the 1st year, so i've heard her stories. i'm eager to learn from ur experiences as well :)

    ReplyDelete