UGGH! My poor baby woke up at 3 Saturday morning to feed, ate a little went back to sleep, didn't think anything, woke up at 5 am, ate a little, i got concerned, but he soon fell asleep, no later than 10 min he is moaning every once in a while. Since he has done this before when he was constipated, we assumed constipation, so Luan spends the next two hours massaging and consoling him. 730 am time to eat again, but now Gio is really warm. Mind you, when he feeds, he is hot and sweaty, but this time, I just sensed something. We take his temp its 100.1 axillary. He is not focusing on us and pale. He is feeding but just not the same. Why? Why? I sit him up to burp and he throws up everything he ate and whatever was in his little tummy. His lips are blue and he is very lethargic. My mother walks in and everything goes crazy. I call the pedi, he said if his temp goes over 100.3 go to ER, no tylenol because it could hide the symptoms, no sponge baths, etc. I ask if we should wait it out, he said absolutely not if 100.3 in a 3 month and younger go to ER. This is the same doc who sent my kid thru all those tests, yes I am thankful Gio is healthy, but still. Luan doesn't trust this guy, I prob shouldn't have called so quickly, but oh well...
The last thing I want to do is take him to ER. I am worried and scared, hubby refuses to go, he was mad I even called Pedi. I am worried about his temp, we start taking rectal, because it is more accurate in a 3 month and below. My baby is only 5 wks old. HIs temp is 100.5, I'm ready to go, Luan still refuses. After the throw up, Gio latches on and eats for about 40 min, his temp goes down and his color is back. Whatever he threw up, he needed to. We spend the day like this, feeding and holding him. If I put him down he would just cry. I am beside myself, ready to go to ER, my mother is hounding me, my husband refuses to go bc temp is fluctuating up and down. I decided that if it goes to 101 we are leaving. Who am I kidding I was ready to go, but in my heart I didn't want to. By 12, my son is back, his color and activity is back. Thank you! He still doesn't want to be put down, he is warm enough that I can't tell normal from fever now. We are taking his temp every 30 min or every hour. I have my mother still hounding me, my persistent husband and I am still in the middle, 80% doesn't want to go and 20% is self-doubt and expecting some miracle from ER, which I know won't happen and scared of potential acquired sickness as well. 5 PM comes around temp 100.5, one more sponge bath and i finally make a call, next temp reading at 7 if at 100.3 or above we are leaving, no matter what, it will have officially been 12 hours. 7 pm- 99.9, later readings go from 99-98. Thank the heavens! Luan was telling Gio lower your temp or we have to leave, show your mom how strong little man u are, To me luan told me to have faith.
I start praying, of course where is my faith? My faith in Gio and God, where is it? I snap out of it! By the way I was really sick and feverish myself, so I had to get better quick. Well when u wake up and your lil man is lifeless looking, you lose it. Even though he looked better his temp was concerning me, the ER trip would have been for me, not Gio, so that my worries would be calmed, did I have to put him through that? Maybe, maybe not. In this case, with him fluctuating, No, I did not have to put him thru that, but with my loving mother hounding me and predicting negative outcomes if we don't, self-doubt slams me in the face. 10:00-99.6- we feed and Gio after a long day falls asleep, as so do I. He sleeps in his co-sleeper in bed, because I was not going to put him in the crib where I couldn't monitor him. 2:45Am I wake up, what he is still not up, I rouse Gio awake, we take his temp 98.6. YES!!!! He is so sleepy and annoyed we are waking him. YES!! He feeds for a bit, back to bed he goes. 6:20 I wake up and seconds later I hear a cry, Gio is up. Temp 98.6. We feed very little and back to bed he goes. I am so happy his temp is up, but his lack of feeding bothers me, I have to remember that he barely slept any the day before and is probably exhausted, but still dehydration can occur. 9:30 am, gio is still sleeping... I text Bernie, she calls and asks about his diapers, poopy and wet? Yes and Yes! Ok then keep an eye on him and he is probably catching up from a sleepless day. 10:40 Gio is up and eating away. Temp 98.5, Gio is alert and eating. I put him in his crib for some playtime.
He is eating, alert, good coloring, pooping and peeing, all signs of a happy Baby. I hear coos and my heart is happy once again. I am thankful for a healthy strong baby who showed his Mommy once again to have faith. A strong Husband who resisted his MIL and crazy wife, and for his strong faith in Giovanni. Yes there will be a time, hopefully never, that intervention is needed, I am totally aware of that. But I also don't want to be the parent who takes her child to ER at first sign of ____. I do believe that some observation is needed then actions can be taken. I feel that observation should have been taken first when we went to hospital when he was first born, but I let it go too far, thankfully we are here to talk about it and get over it. Today I have a smiling baby who is slowly falling asleep for his mid-day nap. I know he is healthy because the minute I put him in his crib, he is awake! LOL! aggh habits are forming. oh well...happy healthy gio is who I love!
Fever is not something to take lightly, but you have to make a decision and stick with it, in our case, luan was strong enough to make it and stick to it. Yes he would have take Gio to hospital at a certain point, if needed to. Thankfully we are home and resting. By the way, Happy 5 weeks GIOVANNI!!! Our strong healthy baby boy!
No comments:
Post a Comment