Phew, where did the time go? Days 1-3 went by like a blur! You slept alot the first day and Bernadette had told us that it was important for you to sleep on your first day and ensure great breastfeeding day 2 and on. I still tried to latch you on as much as I could, but you were in a snooze mood. Day 2 you woke up refreshed and hungry, your mouth is alot smaller than gio's and latching was painful. I finally looked up some breastfeeding videos to refresh my memory and worked on making sure you opened up wide enough to latch properly. I called in to the birthing center for a followup and they reminded me to take my mother's milk tea, which hubby thankfully went out to get with lil Gio! I drank two cups that evening and by 2 am, I was engorged, my milk came in fast and strong, woohoo! I was so used to interrupted sleep thanks to my bladder, that waking up every 2-3 hours was not an issue. Bad habits started early because I don't think we put you down for the first three days, lol. You were in someone's arms, mostly mine, the whole time! I just couldn't bear to be away from you and Daddy joked that he was going to sell the crib because it was just taking up space, although he was just as bad as I was. Tita stayed over the first two nights to settle Gio in and that helped out alot. She cooked us delicious meals and brought over tons of groceries. I was on the verge of going grocery shopping that Tuesday, lol. Hubby ensured that I stay hydrated, fed and soaked twice a day in the herbal sitz baths. I can't tell you enough how nice it was to stay home with my three boys for a full week. Day three was check-up day. We had decided to stay with Bernadette not only for my care but Alexander's as well and then transfer over to the Pediatrician afterwards. We dropped off Gio at my mom's so that he could play and then headed to the birthing center. Jaime treated us and informed us that Alexander was B positive blood type and I was O positive blood type, which made us Coomb's positive. I instantly recognized the term but could not recollect the significance of the test. I thought it was Rhogam positive, but Jaime quickly told us it was not that. Due to our incompatibility of blood, Alexander was more prone to jaundice than other newborns. Gio was O positive like me and although he was jaundiced, it was not as bad. I had noticed yellowing around Alexander's face and eyes, but didn't realize it was bad down to his belly. Jaime assured us that this was normal but that we had to be more cautious because it could spread quickly. They got blood samples for PKU and Bilirubin. Otherwise little man was in great shape and gained 7 ounces, lol! Breastfeeding Champ number 2! I asked for help regarding breastfeeding because latch was still hurting, but I think it also had to do with getting used to the whole process again. I have had a year and half break from the last breastfeeding champ. Jaime told us the best remedy for jaundice is breastfeeding and sunlight. We needed to place Alexander near the window for thirty minutes, twice a day or as much as we could for indirect light. Aware of our hospital friendly pediatrician, she knew they would suggest going to hospital for sunlamps, but she would suggest that once blood results returned and if they were high. I was checked out as well and all was fine. We then headed to our pedi appt but were running late so we rescheduled for later in the afternoon. Having some free time we headed to toys r us for gios' present from Alexander that we were going to get that day anyways expecting Alexander the following Monday. We walked in and out with our present and headed to my moms. Gio was busy playing and Alexander kept sleeping. Gio opened his present and was excited to get a leappad 2 although we told him it was a baby iPad like his Ong Noi's. The Marquez family arrived just as we were leaving to the pedi and Gio was once again entertained. Pedi appt was quick and same info regarding jaundice. Jaime called in with our bilirubin results at 14.2 which was medium to high risk. We would test the next day to check if levels steadily rising or increasing frantically, if it reached 25 could be severely harmful. We went home and I immediately took Alexander into the backyard into direct sunlight for 30 mini. It was a beautiful day and the wind had calmed down. I was not going to take my baby to the hospital to be put in the NICU to be placed under UV lamps if I didn't have to. Been there done that not going back! Giovanni was having a blast with cousin Samantha, madrina and uncle. Eventually it was time to head home, it was a busy day and as much as I loved being at my moms, I needed to rest ASAP! We picked up drinks on the way and the boys picked up dinner. Alexander woke up from a huge siesta ready to eat! We all ate dinner and the kids played. Love seeing Gio and Sam interact so cute! They got really wild towards the end and then it was time for the Marquez family to go back to San Antonio. Sleep was needed all around, but Alexander was hungry and stayed up for the next two hours eating off and on. I was exhausted, didn't even have time to soak. Sleep finally took over but by 230-330 it was feeding time again. Saturday we woke up early, dropped of Gio at my moms once again and then headed to birthing center for another heel stick for bilirubin. They were having a party at the center, but Jaime attended to us quickly. She commented had she seen Alexander that day for the first time she wouldn't have had an issue with his Jaundice because it didnt look as severe as the day prior. She assured us that they would send it out Stat and call us later in the afternoon. By 4pm no response so I called in and guess what results 12.9, thank u God! Numbers down instead of up, huge improvement and headed in the right direction, continue with breastfeeding and indirect sunlight. That time spent in the sun the evening before greatly helped! Yep no breastfeeding schedules here, not when health is in question! Thank god for my milk and the ability to breastfeed, lots of pee and poop diapers getting rid of that excess bilirubin. Dee our NP was happy to hear the results as well and wished us a relaxing weekend, yea we are doing good! Sunday was heavenly spent at home just the four of us. Daddy and Gio went out for park time while Alexander and I chilled at home. We finally swaddled you and attempted crib time for the first time, 20 min later u had enough! Lol! Daddy put together the swing Danette let us borrow and u liked that more. Uncle Toan came to visit and carried you for a while. OngBaNoi came to visit as well and played with Gio too. Monday daddy had to go back to work and that was sad! Gio, you and I played on the sofa in the morning and then ate breakfast. My mom arrived around lunchtime and then put Gio down for a nap and I successfully put you in the crib for an hour and half, woohoo! I enjoyed a nice nap as well. The rest of the week was the same routine: wakeup, feed by the window and sit in the sun, breakfast for Gio and I, swing time for u. Playtime for Gio while u feed or sleep. Lunchtime then naps for all, then playtime, daddy arrives and it's off to the park for a walk, Alexander and I join them or head downstairs for a walk in the parking lot then dinner time, shower for Gio, books and bedtime. Alexander you definitely like to feed during meals, 6-8pm nap, 9pm feed nap then 11/12 huge feed, nap 230/3 feed then sleep till 730/8am. Not bad. Everyday you sleep once in swing and other times in crib or with me in the bed. Wednesday I hit a wall and exhaustion hit me like a ton of bricks. A sleepless night for me and slight insomnia that I asked daddy to take Gio to Tita's for the day. He was tired of being cooped up inside and I needed some sleep desperately. I was able to take two naps and was so refreshed by the evening once Gio arrived, thank u Tita. Wednesday night I swaddled Alexander and placed him next to me and nursed him laying down during his feeds then sitting in the rocking chair and guess what we all slept better!!!!! I have been doing that since and feel normal and sane in the morning. Staying up for an hour at each feed, burp, feed, swaddled and then trying to get you back to sleep was draining on both of us. Did I mention Gio has been in his room but by 2am he wakes up crying and daddy calms him down and falls asleep with him, so it's been just you and me kiddo. Our friend Melissa came to visit and brought treats On Wednesday, Friday BaNoi brought us dinner, Saturday Gio went to soccer with daddy and then we planned to go out but it was naptime so we planned to go afterwards but it became a rainy stormy afternoon. Naptime included me and my two boys, it was heaven! We spent the evening talking and playing, it was perfect! We put the boys to sleep and enjoyed movie night for mommy and daddy but Alexander woke up and joined us on the couch. Sunday, woke up to a gorgeous sunny day and we headed out. We enjoyed a quiet brunch at dim sum before the rush, picked up yummy drinks, quick errand to Target and then home for naps. Cousins Uyen, Olivia and Ethan came by to meet you, but you were busy eating and eating to notice since u slept practically the whole morning. Too much activity around you couldn't fall asleep or focus on eating. You are currently napping on me while mommy rests too. Thank you to everyone for the visits, kind messages and love, we greatly appreciate it! Thanks to my mom for all the visits, delicious meals and help with the boys, once again forever thankful. OngBaNoi thanks for the groceries and dinner! Alexander you are very calm and not fussy at all. oh wait, you hated diaper changes and let everyone know but once u are dry and changed, little happy camper you are. I have failed to mention that you have peed on me almost everyday till i finally covered you with a towel so that i wouldn't get attacked, lol. Your meconium poop only lasted three days and it was bf poop from here on, those are good signs people. You soaked three times with me in my herbal sitz bath and we finally gave you your first tub bath on Friday, which you enjoyed and no tears. Your umbilical cord fell off in four days thanks to the herbal drops that quickly dried it out. In the mornings you enjoy some quiet time in the crib while mommy picks up or jumps in the shower, once u are done, I'm notified by a small yelp or two, no big cry unless i take forever to respond. Breastfeeding we have found a rhythm and you are staying ip long enough to finish one side, fall asleep, burp, change diaper, wake up and finish the other side. I did try a pacifier on day 3 after a two hour marathon of eating and sleeping, but quickly nixed it after reading that we should wait a month till proper breastfeeding has been established. Gio was not a fan of the pacifier but you have a strong rooting need that I am sure you wont have trouble with a pacifier if introduced later, because if I am busy you have quickly found your thumb if its not covered and go to it! Skin is currently shedding which is normal and I'm trying hard to keep lathering you in lotions which makes it worse or can give you a rash. Jaundice remains in the face which is the last to go and slightly in the eyes but no longer in the torso, we have a checkup in four days so we will see. It has been a great two weeks so far and working on somewhat of a routine for our new family!





















No comments:
Post a Comment