Sunday, February 19, 2012

Babyhood is Officially Over!

Ok that title, might be a tid bit over dramatic, but when am I not? So on Valentine's Day, after a long day of running around, Gio asked to nurse and I allowed him too. I told him that this was his last week and no more, he closed his eyes and covered his ears. I have been telling him that for over three weeks now. Empty promises...I officially had stopped nursing in the morning for over a week now and only allowing one nursing a day. I knew that at his birthday we both were not ready. I have been telling Gio for over two months now that we would stop nursing and that he was a big boy now. There is really not a direct method to wean from nursing anywhere, it is a process that Gio and I would face on our own terms. I talked to my friend Patricia who nursed her own boys close to two years and when I was stressing out about it, she said we were not ready and to slowly cut it down, not to go cold turkey.
We had just finished bath time and gio asked to nurse. I knew that our time was coming to an end and I had to be strong for both of us.
There is a nursing bond that Gio and I have that can't be explained thoroughly. When he starts to nurse..his eyes close, there is a calmness that rolls over his body, he curls tightly against me, his eyes close for a bit...then I look down and there are two beautiful saucer eyes staring up at me. When he was smaller he would trace my face as I traced his, we have private conversations and then sometimes I had to say ok Gio time up...which could go either way. I had a love/hate relationship with nursing, I knew that I was providing Gio the best possible nutrients and antibodies with my milk. We only had one hiccup at two months when he had a nursing strike, and since then it was more of Gio wanting too much. I nursed on demand and did not schedule him. I was comfortable with that decision, even though sometimes it would be too much, it was well worth it. I nursed Giovanni for two years and 24 days.
So on Valentine's day when he finished, he popped off and smiled up at me, I said wow done already, that's a big boy! He laughed then went with Daddy to read dinosaur books and to bed. I kept telling myself that Sunday would definitely be his last day...Wednesday, he asked for it..but I kept saying later. In the morning he got a up of milk and then one later in the day. I took him to BaNoi's house because Christine and I were going to go to the movies. I didn't realize till later that we hadn't nursed the whole day. I was worried would Gio be ok...He was FINE, I am crazy. On Thursday he asked for his cup of milk and then I went to school. Later in the day he asked for it and I said there is no more. He wined for a millisecond and kept on playing. Friday he asked one more time, I refused and he kept on going. I knew we would come down this road soon, this just happened sooner than later. Last nite I layed down with him to sleep. He tried to nurse through my shirt, I said Gio what are you doing? He cracked up, so now its a joke. I am happy that we transitioned to this point and that we have both been strong.
Just caution to those weaning, there are several different things that can occur such as swelling, painful, engorgment. I thankfully did not have any of those symptoms but I did have electric type sensation, such as when you milk first comes, it was a little painful for two days and then it was over. Now Gio gets in his nursing position for snuggle time with mommy and we have entered a new phase of mommy/toddlerhood. Of course he will always be my baby but, nursing was his last tie to babyhood. Every mother and child have their own journey and I am happy that I followed my heart and continued to nurse regardless of everyone else's opinions of how often, when i should stop and everything under the sun. I had a goal and we crossed that finish line together.'
Our first picture ever, Gio was of course nursing. My mom took it for us and I never posted it, but I love it so much, that I had to share. I had just gone through a 17 hour labor and scared when Gio did not initially breathe...I was finally holding my precious sweetpea who mommy waited so long to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment